יום שני, 22 בנובמבר 2010

Teriyaki chicken (see picture in hebrew post)with lots of gravy

How do you like your chicken?in our house, chicken is without a doubt the star of our shabbat meals and leftover chicken is a welcome addition to our weekday meals.Before I became a mom,I hated serving plain leftovers and constantly felt the need to jazz them up by cutting up the leftover chicken and turning them into gravy or some other kind of a concoction.But now that I have a bouncing baby boy-who has time for that?so leftovers are just fine with me.Friday nights at our house are all about chicken with lots of gravy and a starch to soak it up:usually rice, but sometimes I'll go crazy and make quinoa or something.When it comes to rice, there are two kinds of people:those who insist that the only kind of rice that's worth eating is the kind where every individual grain of rice is noticeable, no lumps or cakes.My husband is a firm believer of that school of thought.And then there's everybody else, people who don't really care if the rice is grainy or lumpy-that would be me.Due to this raging cultural argument, my husband is usually the one who makes rice in our house.
Anyway,on to the recipe
This recipe was featured in a shul cookbook that belongs to my mom,though I have adjusted it slightly.It's really easy and the ingredients are probably in your kitchen right now.I'd say that as ood as the chicken is,the gravy probably is the best part of the dish-and there's plenty of it to go around.Perfect with rice,quinoa, challah or whatever

Ingredients:
one cut up chicken (Yaels' health tip of the day:do yourself a favor and remove the skin.It is basically pure fat and believe me, you can make fabulous chicken without it.After a few times you won't miss it anymore and you'll be surprised to find yourself removing it as a reflex.And don't try and cheat by baking it with the skin and removing it just before you eat it-the meat will absorb the fat while it's cooking)

2T cornstarch
half a cup soy sauce
2t beef soup powder (bouillon)
two cups boiling water-you can substitute the bouillon and water for two cups of beef stock
2T dry white wine
two crushed cloves of garlic

Combine cornstarch and soy sauce,dissolve bouillon in boiling water.Combine bouillon with cornstarch mixture and add the garlic and wine-mix well.
Place chicken pieces in a roasting pan and pour the sauce over them.Cover and bake at medium heat.After an hour baste the chicken and continue baking until chicken is tender -exact time depends on over but the average time is about 30 minutes.

I'd love to hear how it came out!
I know the picture is far from being professional but if that shouldn't stop you from making this delicious chicken!

תגובה 1:

אנונימי אמר/ה...

I truly love your site.. Great colors & theme.
Did you build this web site yourself? Please reply back
as I'm hoping to create my own site and would love to learn where you got this from or what the theme is called. Thanks!
Feel free to surf my web site : swollen foot Treatment