יום שבת, 15 בינואר 2011

roasted potatoes

It's been a while...a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do (in this case-papers for school) but I'm back to share one of my best recipes of all time.
Everybody loves potatoes!I dare you to contradict me on that one.Even the pickiest eaters find it hard to say no to mashed potatoes and french fries.One of the great things about roasted potatoes is their ability to soup up just about any seasoning you have lying around the house and still be so darn good that leftovers will be a totally foreign concept.
When I was in national service, cooking was no small challenge.Our kitchen was equipped with not much more than a fridge, microwave and a stove.Oh, did I mention the sandwich maker?add that to five starving, budget-deprived(not to mention time and idea deprived)girls and the result is mountains of tomato paste-topped pasta(which, of course, to itself is not a bad thing but culinary ruts need to be broken every now and then).Eventually, we all found our niche:one girl became in charge of the pasta\rice department,one girl was in charge of salads, two cooking-challenged girls were in charge of setting the table and doing the dishes(well,in theory)and I became the exclusive potato guru.In that apartment they were fried,but have since been upgraded (healthwise and time-wise)to the oven.Here is my positively no-fail recipe, but stay tuned at the end for ways to jazz it up:

Amazing roasted potatoes:
two lbs. potatoes (my mom usually figures one potato per eater.But that only works if I'm not one of those eaters, because I usually have no problem devouring the whole pan in a blink of an eye.Oops...)
four tablespoons olive oil(but don't be snobby, any other oil works fine )
one tablespoon of paprika
one tablespoon of poultry seasoning
three crushed cloves of garlic
two tablespoons of onion soup powder
two tablespoons of dried parsley flakes
salt, pepper and cumin to taste

Peel and dice potatoes. Transfer them to a bowl and pour the oil on top.Mix.Add the seasonings and mix again until combined.Cover a baking sheet with baking paper and spray it with cooking spray.Transfer potatoes to baking sheet and bake at 400 F for about an hour.I recommend removing a piece every few minutes and tasting it until the potatoes are done but what do I know?

Now this is the part where I (and you) go crazy
The seasoning mentioned above are by no means set in stone.Feel free to add ans subtract them according to your refined palette.(um,I wouldn't drop the salt completely...hello,bland city).Here are some other seasonings I have tried and they're all fabulous:
chicken soup powder
vegetable soup powder
granulated garlic or garlic powder
Italian dressing
dehydrated onion flakes
turmeric
spicy paprika-carefully
balsamic vinegar-honestly!yummy
dried dill
soy sauce
onion powder
red wine
honey lemon juice

What combos work for you?I'm open to suggestions
until next time...

אין תגובות: