יום ראשון, 5 באוגוסט 2012

Crunchy Dorito salad




I know lots of people who can't go through a meal without a salad in some form, but I have to admit that they (salads, not meals) were never my strong point. What I do appreciate is a fun salad, orginal ones with a twist (a filling one, you know?because a few chopped up vegetables can't really hold me over until the next meal). These salads are perfect for the hot days that unfortunately just seem to be getting worse, on these days just the thought of turning on the stove or oven might cause you severe dehydration and I wouldn't want to take responsibility for that.
I wouldn't call this a "meal" salad but it makes a great snack, or you could serve it as part of few salads at a fun buffet meal or just as a side dish- it's also a great way to get kids to eat vegetables (hey, it worked for me...)
I can't vouche for the health level of this salad- you'll have to use your own judgement to determine whether the doritos cancel out th vegetables or vice-versa...
This is not a make-ahead dish- the only thing I would recommend making ahead is the dressing but only if you're short on time. If that's the case, store the dressing in the fridge until you're ready to serve. Otherwise, just make everything at the last minute and serve.

ingredients:
1 head of lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
1 peeled and chopped carrot
1 peeled and sliced red onion
1 small package of your favorite Doritos (any flavor)

Combine salad ingredients in a large bowl

Dressing:
6 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon mustard
1 teaspoon mayonnaise (I recommend the low-fat kind)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
2 crushed cloves of garlic

Pour all dressing ingredients into a jar and shake. Don't be tempted to add salt- the soy sauce will add all the sodium that you need... (and more). Pour the dressing over the salad, combine again and serve.


Enjoy!

אין תגובות: