יום חמישי, 6 באוקטובר 2011

Apple Cake surprise


So we're already into the new year, but in my humble opinion any time is appropriate for a nice warm slice of apple cake. Apples and cinnamon are probably one of the best aromas you can fill your house with, and this one is especially fun because it has a sneaky ingredient.You'll never guess what it is.Okay, maybe you will if you read the post in Hebrew so for the rest of you I think I'll just come clean.
The secret ingredient is mayonnaise.
EEWWWWW!!!!GROOSSS!!!!!!what the heck is she thinking?
Now those of you who have read my carrot kugel post (hi Mom) know that freaky food combos are NOT my cup of tea, but sometimes curiousity kills the cat and I just had to try this recipe when I came across it (the fact that I had mayonnaise to get rid before the expiration date may have been a contributing factor.How much tuna salad can one person possibly eat without dying of mercury poisoning???).Needless to say, you obviously canNOT taste the mayonnaise and it simply acts as a fat similar to oil.This is my revised version of a really moist, easy and fairly low-fat cake.Why don't you try it out yourself?


Ingredients:
1.5 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 cup of sugar
1\2 a cup of mayonnaise (I really recommend using the low-fat mayonnaise that is based on oil.It'll save you a whole lot of fat)
4 tablespoons of milk (or soymilk)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
pinch of salt
5 tablespoons of lemon juice (that's about one lemon, but don't be a snob- I used bottled lemon juice and you can too)

Fot the apple topping:
 2 apples, peeled and sliced or cubed
3 tablespoons of sugar
1 teaspoon of cinnamon

1.Grease a round or square pan and heat the oven to 180 C or 350 F
2.Combine all of the cake ingredients and pour batter in to the greased pan
3.Place the apple slices on top of the batter, combine the remaining cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle on top of the apple slices
4.Bake for 45 minutes, or until cake is golden and a toothpick comes out clean.Apple cakes sometime look done on top before they are actually baked through so you may want to place a sheet of foil over the cake in order to ensure even baking and to avoid burning




Enjoy...I told you that you wouldn't taste the mayonnaise



אין תגובות: